Friday, October 28, 2005

Banana Trap

Somehow I managed to let a batch of fruitflies invade my house. I think it was the really really ripe banana a couple of weeks ago. The funny thing is they didn't just hang out in the kitchen with the food - they were everywhere. Well yesterday I decided to leave a plate out with a tomato and really ripe banana to see if I could get them all to congregate in one place...and then get them some how. I really didn't think too hard about it. But C came up with the idea to get them in a jar... I thought it was unlikely but let him get a jar and a lid and put the banana in there. He kept watching it and putting the lid on every 5 seconds and only managed to catch one or two which escaped when he took off the lid.

Once he forgot about it the trap really started working. I go check it every half hour or so and there are lots of flies inside, then I quickly put on the lid and take the flies outside and release them. Then I bring the jar back in and collect more flies. Overnight they left the other parts of the house and are now thick in the the kitchen - which is good because that is where the trap is. I am getting rid of them about 30 at a time a I suppose - and my 5 year old thought up the way.

No comments: